Saturday, 25 February 2012

Strewing...

I keep coming across this term - I think it refers to a way of leaving things around in an attempt to inspire children to get involved with particular activities (please correct me if I'm wrong!). It works quite well for us because I feel I'm not neglecting anyone, they know I'm interested in what they're doing and keen for them to join in but there isn't any pressure. I have a tendency to over-involve myself in things, sometimes being controlling. This technique reminds me to hold back, to watch what happens, and to interfere as little as possible.

To this end, I tried doing threading myself, asked my boy if he wanted to join in (was politely refused - see last post!) and then left my creation and the beads and pipe cleaners on the floor. A big thank you to Joxy for the threading on pipe cleaners tip - brilliant for little fingers! This happened after about 20 minutes... he loved it and spent half an hour threading and creating great shapes and a bracelet for his baby sister - a big success!

No comments: