Today we discovered a fantastic solution for a small boy who is fairly addicted to the TV at the moment and asks to watch it every five minutes from about 8am. I don't mind him watching a little bit, it's nice to relax and zone out sometimes, but all things in moderation. So. We decided yesterday that he shouldn't even ask to watch it before he's dressed and ready for the day, because that just isn't going to happen. And today, we used that new idea to it's best advantage. We got dressed at 2.15pm. This may well be the latest I've ever got dressed - I'm a little obsessive about showering first thing and being ready. I've acknowledged today that this is a lesson I needed to learn: it's ok to slow down sometimes.
It's not that we've been doing nothing, though, just that we've been doing it more gently than usual! We read lots of stories and did some cooking, made a lovely lunch and started the evening meal for us all to have later, and then the littlies were delighted to have a tea party with their toys (using the tea set I've saved for 25 years and wished I'd saved a little longer when my tiny girl had one of her throwing moments and smashed a cup :( ) while I managed to get halfway through making the dress we're giving the tiny one for her second birthday on Sunday. This was the calm scene as my boy set up the picnic (with playsilk blanket, thank you mamapixie!) and my girl read to the teddies while they waited for their food. She then ate all their food (raisins) but they didn't seem to mind. The funniest bit was watching her read them a story and then shout 'you stay there, I be back soon!' and run to get another book!
Oh and a little bit of spontaneous learning too - have many children learned to read by fridge magnets alone?! I lie, Reading Eggs is really suiting him at the moment, he enjoys working through the sounds with me and he's just very, very interested in words right now so learning is just happening as we go. He's thrilled every time he works out a real word though! I would like some fridge letters that aren't just capitals - do they exist? Off to ebay I go...
Very Happy Days
10 years ago
3 comments:
Good fun mama, enjoy xx
Yes Melissa and dough do wooden lower case magnetic letters. I found mine in a charity shop, but you can get them online too, including eBay.
Thank you ladies :)
Ooh thanks Joxy, will have a look xx
Post a Comment