Thursday, 29 April 2010

This little boy is TWO!

I can't believe my little boy is two already! He seems such a baby and it's amazing to me that I thought his big sister was so grown up at this age - one beauty of second children, I think, is that you have more perspective on how much children change and learn not to be always looking for the next stage!


We had a wonderful day for Finn's birthday - we met up with some friends for a picnic in the forest while Phil was working and Chloe was at school. It was incredible to watch three little boys, who were bumps together at active birth classes, running around playing with sticks (where does that sword-fighting instinct come from?!!) and exploring the world. I didn't want to put identifiable photos of other people's children up without permission (and no-one in real life knows I have a blog, lol!) so this one is Finn sword-fighting with a tree instead!! Collecting fir cones...And this is how far from us the little explorers went without looking back - yes, those tiny dots in the distance are toddlers!!!

And then after school, we collected Chloe and Phil and went to a lovely pub garden by the canal where the children (and Phil!) played for hours and had tea. The highlight of my week was the amazing opportunity to lie in the sun with my eyes closed for twenty minutes - bliss!

And then home for some dairy-free birthday cake with hideous blue icing that was the result of a failed attempt at a train cake!! Finn was absolutely delighted with 'the birthday song' and after about 70 renditions, he'll be mightily confused when it's Phil's birthday on sunday and his name isn't in it anymore! He was so sweet with his presents, looking for 'one for lowee, one for daddy' each time he opened one - he's definitely got the hang of sharing!
I can't believe it's been two years since that tiny boy was born into my hands in the birth pool in our lounge. He makes me smile so many times every day and is the funniest, happiest boy I've ever met. And his ability to play for hours on his own with the duplo figures he has named after all the members of our wider family is astonishing and delightful. I can't believe how lucky I am, it's such a privilege to be his mummy :-)





1 comment:

Claire said...

Gosh, he look so grown up now! Happy Birthday Finn.